- Accelerated Graphics Port, the AGP slot is for video, and video alone. Most computers will either come with an installed graphics card in the AGP slot, or will use intigrated graphics with an AGP slot available for upgrade.
- Central Processing Unit, the part of a computer (a microprocessor chip) that does most of the data processing.
- Double Data Rate (RAM), DDR Memory faster then SDR Memory and is often used in computer systems utilizing AMD Athlon XP or Intel Pentium 4 processors.
- dual in-line memory module, peices of memory are often refered to as DIMMs.
- Digital Video Interactive, LCD flat panel monitors where originally designed with only DVI as the interface. Then they started making LCD's with VGA ports as well, so one did not have to change video cards when upgrading. When buying an LCD monitor, pay attention to it's connection type, either DVI or VGA. If it is DVI, you will need a graphics card with a DVI port. Fortunally, most of todays high-end graphics cards come with DVI and VGA connectors.
- Gigabyte, either 1,000 megabytes (1,000,000,000 bytes), or 1,024 megabytes (1,073,741,824 bytes), depending on who you ask. Hard Drives general use 1,000 megabytes (MB), while physical memory will use 1,024 megabytes (MB).
- Integrated Drive Electronics, the standard for PC storage devices, including CD Drives and Hard Drives.
- Megabyte, either 1,000,000 bytes, or 1,048,576 bytes, depending on who you ask. Hard Drives general use 1,000,000 bytes, while physical memory will use 1,048,576 bytes.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer, is also referred to as bulk pack, brown box, or white box. OEM components and software generally are not sold with a retail packaged or box, and often do not come with the extensive documentation that would accompany a retail boxed item. Consumers realize a savings from two major areas: printing and shipping costs. Printing in this day and age is often expensive, from the multiple colors on the retail box, to the reams of printed advertising and manuals in multiple languages, the costs can add up quickly for manufactures. There is also a considerable savings in shipping, most items coming in bulk shipments, without the wasted dead space of large boxes for small items. You simply pay only for the item you are interested in.
Most of our OEM components will ship with just the item, and if required, drivers. Cables and other accessories are not included unless otherwise stated.
|Hard Disk Drives||bare drive only.|
|CD Drives|| ||bare drive only.|
|Motherboards|| ||manual, driver cd, and generally 1 to 3 cables. Included cables are to the manufactures specification.|
|CPUs|| ||bare CPU only. A cooling fan and heatsink must be purchased separately.|
|Software|| ||varies depending on the manufacturer. Software will always ship with the required license key, be it a Certificate from Microsoft, or simply the serial number. Some software will simply ship with just an authentic CD, no other documentation being required.|
- Peripheral Component Interconnect, often PCI slot. A PCI slot is the current standard expansion slot in most computers. Almost every card you wish to install in your system will be PCI. Generally, PC's will have from three to six PCI slots.
- Random Access Memory, this is system memory, it comes in many flavors, such as SDR, DDR, and RDRAM.
- High bandwidth system memory, designed by Rambus, Inc. For use in certain high-end Intel Pentium 4 computers.
- Refurbished items are either used and in good working order, or have been reconditioned.
- Single Data Rate (semiconductors/memory/RAM), SDR memory was the main stay memory for computers for many years. Still used in value systems and older computers.
- Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, generally a peice of memory.
- (SuperVGA) Enhancements to the VGA standard that increased resolution to 800 x 600 and beyond. The term may be used to refer to 800 x 600 resolution in general.
- Video Graphics Array, for quite a while, the standard in graphics. VGA is still used to describe the D-Sub 15Pin VGA Connector. Most monitors, be them CRT or LCD, use a VGA connector.
Chipmax.com: your choice for low price computer software and PC hardware. Whether you are looking to build your own system from the case up, or need to protect yourself with the latest antivirus software, you should take advantage of our low prices. If you're looking for computer parts online, low PC prices, and great deals on refurbished computer components, please take a look around, you'll find everything you need.
Copyright © Chipmax.com (2003) All rights reserved.